This page will be updated from time to time, but here are my favorite free utilities for PC. These are all very easy to use, I think, and can be very handy. Firefox goes without saying. Download and use these at your own risk, but I haven’t had any problems with them. (Note: I chopped down the URLs to make them fit on this page. Clicking on them, however, will take you to the full URL)
- Syncback’s free backup program: http://www.2brightsparks.com I reviewed this software here.
- Windows XP powertoys: http://www.microsoft.com Check out image resizer and clear type tuner (especially if you have a laptop). Tweak UI is good, but it’s not as awesome as
- X-setup 6.3. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=127 This is an awesome free tweaking program (6.3 is the last free version, as far as I can tell). This helps you change all sorts of hidden settings that would take you forever to find through XP by itself. X-setup has a newer version you can buy here: http://www.x-setup.net/
- This tool backs up your personal folders in Microsoft Outlook 2003. If you use Outlook, I would strongly recommend that you use this. I don’t have the slightest idea as to why Microsoft didn’t just build this into the damn program. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
- Cryptainer. http://www.cypherix.com/cryptainerle/index.htm I reviewed this program here.
- Cacheman: http://www.outertech.com/ Purports to manage your RAM/swap file usage better than Windows does. If you have a good amount of RAM and tweaked properly with X-setup, you might not need this. I don’t know whether it does all that much for me, but it doesn’t look like it hurts.
- Adaware: Scans your system for spyware. Here’s a good in-depth review and download page. http://pcworld.com/downloads/file (PCworld.com rocks, by the way).
- Spybot Search and Destroy: http://www.spybot.info/en/index.htm Coupled with Adaware, you’d be doing pretty well for yourself, if you scan your computer regularly.
- Easycleaner! http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm See their page for what it does.
- Folder marker!Â http://www.lifehacker.com/software/downloads… Helps you mark your folders with colors and icons with speed and ease. Speed up how you navigate your folders.
More to follow.